Critical reflection (Module and project learning)

 Module Learning

During the first few lessons of this module, I admit that there were many instances where I questioned its usefulness and relevancy, especially because during the first few weeks, the workload for this module was way higher and more fast paced than my other core modules. I remember asking myself on multiple occasions why is writing a reader response or writing an introductory email to my professor even useful for an engineering student. However, I told myself to just go with the flow and do my best regardless as my GPA was on the line. And to my surprise, I found out that with each and every class I attended, there was without a doubt something to take away. Whether it was a way to improve on my writing skills, or how to give a good presentation. I realized how important this module actually was, and that there will always be things so learn and improve on, especially when it came to communication. 

One of the most important parts of this module is writing formal reports. In the past, I have learnt report writing skills such as using the PEEL framework or the Paul-Elder framework, but I had never really implemented them into my previous reports. In this module, when writing the reader response and tech report, these skills have proven to be invaluable in nurturing critical thinking in my writing.

Furthermore, thanks to this module, I am now much more confident in public speaking. As mentioned in my Introductory letter to prof, giving presentations have never been my strong suit. However, after having to speak in front of the whole class so many times throughout this trimester, I subconsciously became less self conscious and more comfortable talking to a crowd. When it came to the final presentation I did with my team, I realized that I had became much more confident, and could even speak smoothly without having a script or referring to my slides, something that I have never been able to do before. Picking up knowledge along the way from prof such as giving a compelling introduction, and having a good stance most certainly helped as well. 


Project Learning

For our research project, I took on the role of secretary/scribe, which meant that I was in charge of taking down minutes during meetings and classes, and also to document our research details and information. This role was right up my alley as I have always been more comfortable being behind a computer and doing my own work as opposed to being a speaker or a group leader. One key take away from my role is learning to listen to every team member and taking all their suggestions down. Listening and sharing information are critical parts of good communication, and is regrettably something that I have never really taken into account in the past. 

Another thing to take away from my research project in this module is learning to organize a proper academic report and include the relevant information. Learning what is necessary inside a tech report (background information, literature review, analysis of design) is an invaluable skill that will definitely help me in the future, as this would not be the last time having to write a report.


All in all, my initial perspective on this module was definitely wrong. There were countless invaluable knowledge and skills to pick up, and having them in my arsenal now, I can say with the utmost confident that it was worth it putting in the effort to pay attention in class.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Formal Introductive letter to professor